Understanding Product Tags
Understanding & Managing Product Tags
Tags allow customers (and the marketplace itself) to find and list your products in more specific ways than just the product type can alone. Whereas a product can only have one type – they can have multiple tags, meaning you can add more context and nuance to your products, helping them get displayed in multiple locations or allowing us to build collections for specific niche things.
For example, a bookstore owner will have their product type as ‘Book’. Whereas the product tags will be things like ‘Fiction‘, ‘Non-Fiction’, ‘Local Author’‘, ‘Hardback”, Softback’,
WHY ARE TAGS SO IMPORTANT?
- Tags will be found when a user searches the site
- Tags are used by us internally to define niche collections (Gifts for Her, Gifts for Him, Newborn, Made In Derry).
- Tags cab be used to filter your products on the side of each collection and help users find specific niche items
- Tags can help determine secondary ‘departments’ and collections your products will appear in. (Info TBC)
GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE:
If you are a local bar selling a man’s hoodie as part of your merchandise line, which (for instance) has your own business brand on it, and is currently on sale, the product type will be ‘Hoodies’, but you will to want to add tags such as:
- ‘On Sale‘
- ‘Made Local‘
- ‘YOUR BRAND NAME’
- Local & Niche: Made Local, Hand Made, On Sale
- Material : Cotton, Velvet, Glass etc
- Audience : Men, Women, Unisex, Kids, Girls, Boys etc
HOW TO ADD TAGS:
Simply go to the ‘Tags’ area at the bottom of your product management screen and press the COMMA key after each tag you want to add. They will light up green. Just be sure to check the spelling (Here’s an example of one of our tees)
OTHER LOCAL EXAMPLES:
- Derry Photos adds a product – ‘Peace Bridge Print’ (a black and white image of the iconic local spot.) His product type would be ‘Fine Art Photography Prints’, whereas his tags would be; ‘Cityscape’, ‘Photography’, ‘Derry’, ‘Monochrome’, ‘Made Local’ etc.
- AMACH adds a new product of type, T-shirt. Their tags would ,’Unisex’, ‘Cotton’, “Ethical’ , ‘Amach’
CAN I ADD TOO MANY TAGS?
YES! Don’t mistake product tags for hashtags on social posts! Keep them relevant to the product, your brand and what makes your product UNIQUE. (You don’t want to rip the arse out of it! 🙂
PLEASE, BEAR WITH US
We’ll add more specific information on tags to help you appear in different collections soon, but in the meantime, if you have any queries about any of this, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our team on firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance.